Skip to main content

Forever Basil

I love fresh herbs.

In the Spring, we always plant a variety of herbs.

It's so exciting . . .

 . . .at first!

Then, I forget to water them.

I end up with "herb sticks."

You know what those are, don't you?

It's limp, dry, sunburned, unusable wanna be herbs that suffered at the hands of me.

It's sad.

Every year, I vow to do better.

I don't!

But I do try!  That's worth something, isn't it?

Remember, my trips to the grocery store are purely perfunctory.

I rarely buy "new and great, just discovered" things because I don't take time to look around.

I'm working on that -- there really are some great things to try.

But old habits are hard to break and all I want to do is get out of there and get the junk put up at home.

However!  One day at the store, while trying to be interactive with my surroundings, I did find something new!

And boy!  Is it a treat!

It's basil in a tube!

It's great! 

Need 1 TBSP of fresh basil?  Just squeeze it out!

It lasts about 3 months in the fridge!

I also bought the cilantro one too!  It's great!

Today, I made a marinade using this stuff.  Maybe you can find it at your favorite to meander grocery shop!

Lemon Basil Vinaigrette Marinade

1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP basil

Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until incorporated.

Pour over your chicken and marinade for as long as you want.

Either grill the chicken or roast in the oven.

*I used bone in, skin on chicken breasts.  3 very large pieces and this was "just" (as in, could have used more) marinade.  I totally made up this recipes -- so adjust to your taste or add something or leave something out.  Either way - I was happy with the final marinade.

I served with pesto pasta and a salad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi